Monday, October 3, 2011

Finding My Passion

'Big Heart of Art - 1000 Visual Mashups' photo (c) 2009, qthomasbower - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
I have many different things that I am passionate about in my life. One thing that I love is art. I have a great passion for art and art education. I was so fortunate to grow up with the ability to participate in art while in school. During elementary school I had art class every week. It was so much fun and I still have projects that I created. During middle and high school I continued my passion for art and signed up for classes whenever I had to ability to find an elective. I also continued to take art classes once I got to college. Art is something that is a part of me, I feel more complete when I am able to do something in the arts. I think my parents figured this out when I was very young. Besides participating in art class at school, I also participated in art after school and during the summer. While in elementary school I participated in the Reflections contest every year. I won quite a few times, which is probably why I continued to do it (besides being artistic, I tend to be very competitive). I loved being able to do art all, the time. My parents allowed me to take art classes after school (drawing and painting are the two I remember the most). I went to art camp during the summer. My parents bought me tons of art supplies whenever I wanted them. Not only did I participate in the common "art" classes: painting, drawing, sculpting, pottery, acting; I did music as well, which is an art form of its own. I started in elementary school playing the clarinet; I was part of the school orchestra and did many performances. In middle school I decided that I wanted to learn to play the piano and took lessons for 4 years. Then in high school I decided to learn the guitar (which is probably the most painful instrument to play). My parents were always supportive of whatever instrument I wanted to play. Now having taught at a music school I give them much props for letting me learn all these instruments and having to listen to me practice. I still play the piano to this day! I love playing piano; it's very soothing to me. I also still paint and draw at home when the mood strikes me. I love art because it is so cathartic. It's a very personal process in which you can express yourself and create something that appeals to you. I think one of my favorite things about art is that there is no wrong. It is such a subjective subject that you can never be wrong. That is why when I'm teaching I try my hardest to include art. I feel that students have so many tests that they take and skills that they have to learn. The have so much pressure of being right all the time. Students need the time to not have to be right or wrong, but just be what they want. Whenever I teach an art lesson the first and most important thing I tell the students is that no matter what you do it's fine. I want to see each person have a different thing. There is no right or wrong in art. Art is something that is so important to me and has played a large part in who I am.

3 comments:

  1. Your passion (and knack) for the artistic is evident in how aesthetically appealing your blog is! I'm jealous:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina!

    It's funny to think of what art really is, because it can mean something different to other people! When I think of art and if I would consider myself an artist, I would say I definitely am NOT an artist in anyway, nor do I like making art. But my thinking of the word "artist" is someone who can draw or paint or something along those lines. But in reality, I guess I am good at art and I do love making art!!! I'm really good at making signs/poster and creating things like scrapbooks, etc. but don't involve actual "drawing". I have always been the one to make posters or write things out because of my handwriting. I also took ceramics in high school and during my undergrad and I would say I was good at it! I also LOVE going to pottery studios and painting ceramics to be fired in the kiln for me to take home, so I guess I do love art!! Thanks for the perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love the posted picture. I for one am a supporter of the arts, especially the visual arts. I like you, love time that I can spend drowned in the arts. I used to love those late nights in college in the art studio listening to my music and getting lost in another world. Since moving out to San Diego I have not spent much time doing any art. I need to get back into it. I miss it. I think my sanity may miss it too. ;)

    ReplyDelete