Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Final Thoughts

I know that our class is basically over but I had an epiphany today while I was in the middle of teaching, amazing how random thoughts come to your head at the most unique times! First I have to say today I realized how much technology has changed. We were making marshmallow snowmen today(it was cooking) and when the kids are done we always take pictures so they put them in their cookbook. Well I have been missing my camera charger for a month, finally found it last week and have no lost my camera. To improvise I took pictures with my iPhone, which takes amazing pictures. Well I had set my phone down and the kids were all amazed by it and two of my little boys even managed to switch the camera to front mode and ask if they could take a picture of themselves. Thank goodness I didn't take my ipad out too because that would have created pandemonium. I also realized how much technology has changed when I was sitting in our Winter Music Concert this afternoon and looked back to see almost half the audience using their iPhone to take pictures and record videos. Amazing how one tool can change the way we do everything. After thinking of all this technology and how it's changed I realized something about this class. I've really enjoyed it and I have learned a lot from it. There is stuff from this class that I would have learned, but it would have taken me much longer on my own. I've also gotten a TON of resources and now I know who I can talk to (Jeff) if I ever need help with technology stuff. I guess I feel like it doesn't show that I've learned things. I realized I wish I could have a camera on me at all times so I could document how I use these tools daily. The other part of my epiphany is that I have decided I am going to really try and keep building my PLN. It's going to be brutal, I already know, but I am going to slowly make myself use more of the tools that I haven't as much. I think part of the reason that I haven't used all the tools is because I have not had time. I didn't realize how insane my life this past semester has been until yesterday when I realized that I FINALLY have nothing that needs to be done next week. Which is a miracle because my house has been trashed since the wedding and I can't wait till I can spend a whole week cleaning. I think that part of the reason I haven't used a lot of the tools is because I don't have the time, I was planning a Wedding for the first two months, got married the third, dealt with holidays, subbed for so many classes I can't keep track, which in turn led to me getting sick so many times I can't keep track and was doing four graduate classes, all on top of the normal everyday crap you have to do. I look back and wonder how I even slept during the past three/four months. Being able to look back now and see how busy I was I realize that doing all these tools was just not a top priority, which is why now that I will have more time I am going to try and use them. I have also decided that I am going to try and write a blog for just me, to kinda get me into the whole idea of blogging. I'm not going to lie, I don't really enjoy blogging, it takes a lot of freaking time and like I said I just didn't have any.So to get into the routine I'm going to try and do a weekly blog, still deciding the topic. I think I may do one of the different projects that I do each week. That way it's something that I love/ I can show my mom and sisters. I think one of my first posts will be my awesome gift wrapping that I've been doing (which I got from pinterest, so I'm double excited because I finally did something from the site!!!yay!). I am also going to make a headboard from some ideas I found on pinterest. Maybe my blog will be about the ideas that I get from pinterest! When I do create my blog I will post it so you know and if you want can follow me. I'm hoping by getting myself into the rhythm of writing a blog it will be easier and then I can start one for my classroom ideas/questions.

I know that to show our learning we were supposed to active in the online tools throughout the semester but I don't think that's the best way to show learning. It's like with my kids in my class. I don't want them to do problems or writing just by copying and doing what I say. That doesn't mean they learned anything. I know they have learned when were out on the playground and come up to me to say they noticed a pattern on the jungle gym or that they have distinguished what kind of plants are in the flower box. When they can take learning from the classroom and apply it to other parts of their life I know they have learned. I think that it is successful to say that I have learned from this class. I have taken learning from this class and applied it to other aspects of my life. More importantly, I'm willing taking what I have learned and I am going to continue on learning. I am going to keep expanding my horizons and build on top of the foundation that was created in this class. I'm happy because I've gotten to that point that we hope all our students get to, the place where they take what we taught and continue on their own. I know this is so random but I just thought it would be good to share. I know I haven't been the biggest advocate for some of the tools we have learned but I'm willing to keep trying. I want to expand my PLN and so that's what I'm going to do!

P.S. Thank you Jeff for everything that you have taught us. It was an awesome class and by far one of my favorites that I have had at USD. I hope you keep teaching it because it has a lot of important information for other teachers to learn. Also I LOVE the apps you told me to put on my ipad, and my husband thinks Songify is the greatest thing on Earth. I don't even know how many songs he has made!

Oh and also....
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Songify is seriously life-changing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Christina, I really agree with you that learning is truly shown when you can apply it elsewhere in life. I enjoyed having two classes with you this semester! Congrats again on getting married and hopefully we'll cross paths again! If you do decide to write a blog, please let me know because I'd love to follow it! Have Happy Holidays and enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete